Match Reports‎ > ‎

Tinryland U21s fail to advance to Co. Final

posted 31 Aug 2014, 11:16 by   [ updated 31 Aug 2014, 11:17 ]

By Eamonn Byrne

Tinryland U21’s were denied a place in this year’s Co. final when they lost out by 3 points to a gritty Naomh Eoin team in the semi-final at Dr Cullen park on Saturday 30th August. A poor start and the concession of sloppy goals at vital times proved costly for the youthful Tinryland squad who had more of a look of a minor team with the average age of the panel no more than 18 years. 

Eight minutes had passed before any team registered a score and when it arrived it was the Myshall men who made the wait count with a brilliant finish to the Tinryland net by their most influential player Ross Smithers who gave his side the perfect start. The eventual winners had tagged on a further two points before Niall Lowry opened the Tinryland account in the 15th minute following good work by Ciaran Townsend. The Myshall men then responded positively scoring points in the 17th and 19th minutes via Conor Foley and Keith Slye the latter point following a turnover when Tinryland had possession. Tinryland finished the first half on a positive note with Diarmaid Walshe scoring a wonderful point in the 21st minute following good play by Niall Lowry and Kuba Dobosz. Cathal Gaffney who was one of Tinryland’s better players on the night then slotted over another beauty following a great pass from Cathal O’Toole and the half ended with a Tinryland wide from Jack Lowry to leave the interval score Naomh Eoin 1-4 Tinryland 0-3. 

When play resumed Bradleigh Nolan was introduced into the fray and Tinryland were quickest off the mark scoring a point via Niall Lowry to leave only 3 points separating the sides. Ross Smithers cancelled out this score however 60 seconds later as Co minor player Conall O’Se replaced the injured Ciaran Townsend. The action was hotting up now and Diarmaid Walshe converted a free in the 36th minute to bring the margin back to three points once again. Cathal O’Toole and Kevin Hosey for Naomh Eoin then traded points as James McGrath was introduced into the action for Tinryland. McGrath was not long on the field when his influence began to take effect and Tinryland at last got back on level terms when Conall O’Se crashed the ball to the Myshall net following good work from Owan O’Gorman and Mark Lawlor. This score should have been the catalyst for Tinryland to kick on but it was Naomh Eoin who responded with the next point from wing forward Jack Kavanagh in the 42nd minute. Tinryland once again got back on level terms in the 47th minute when James McGrath pointed but within 2 minutes the game changed once again when the Tinryland defence were caught flat footed and a penalty was conceded which was duly despatched to the net by Anthony Hogan to leave the Myshall men 3 points ahead with 10 minutes remaining. 

A brilliant run from James McGrath with 5 minutes remaining resulted in another Tinryland point from Diarmaid Walshe but as Tinryland went for the jugular being two points in arrears possession was lost once again and Naomh Eoin dealt Tinryland a mortal blow by toe poking a vital goal at a crucial time after a scramble in the goal mouth. Another blow for Tinryland was the dismissal of James McGrath after he had exchanged words with referee Paud O’Dwyer following what appeared to be a blatant foul on the Tinryland substitute which went unpunished. With time now running out Tinryland managed to reduce the margin with consolation points from Niall Lowry and Diarmaid Walshe before the ref sounded the full time whistle. Final score Naomh Eoin 3-7 Tinryland 1-10.  

Team: Ciaran Byrne, Conor O’Toole, Kuba Dobosz, Owan O’Gorman, Cathal Gaffney 0-1, Adam Murphy, Garry Scully, Gregg Murphy, John Dwyer, Niall Lowry 0-3, Diarmaid Walshe 0-4, Cathal O’Toole 0-1, Jack Lowry, Mark Lawlor, Ciaran Townsend. Subs Conor McGrath, bradleigh Nolan, Conall O’Se 1-0, James McGrath 0-1, Ciaran Larkin, Adam Mullen.