Match Reports‎ > ‎

U-16 County Final vs Éire Óg

posted 26 Aug 2011, 09:27 by
U16 Footballers lift Co Title with great second half display against Eire Og

By Eamonn Byrne

 A superb second half display saw Tinryland U16 footballers overcome a half time defecit of 4 points and run out winners by 5 in the 2011 Co U16 final at Dr Cullen park on Thursday 25th August. This win helped to lift club spirits after the U21 defeat to Naomh Eoin 24 hours earlier.

Like the u21s Tinryland U16s took 20 minutes to register a score when Barry Power slotted over a point. In the first 20 minutes Eire Og were the dominant force clocking up 1-2 without reply with their goal coming in the 9th minute when wing forward Shane Noonan found the Tinryland net. The town team were quickest to settle and had registered 2 points via Craig White and Shane Noonan in the opening 5 minutes. They were dealt a severe blow in the 18th minute however when Craig White received his marching orders after a second yellow card. Despite this loss Eire Og still competed well and led by 1-3 to 0-2 at half time with Ciaran Townsend getting Tinryland’s second point in the 21st minute. On the restart Eire Og once again took the game to the boys in blue and white and had stretched into a 6 point lead by the 35th minute with points from Adam Murphy and Shane Noonan. Tinryland at last found the form that had seemed to desert them in the first half and a Ciaran Townsend goal in the 38th minute was quickly followed by a point from the same player  to leave the score 1-5 to 1-3 with 20 minutes remaining.Tinryland continued to pile on the pressure and a Marcus Lawler point in the 44th minute left the minimum between the sides and the equaliser came with 10 minutes left when wing back Luke Corcoran slotted over a well taken point. It was all Tinryland now as the Eire Og lads  tried to defend desperately and with 4 minutes left on the clock Tinryland had edged into a 2 point lead following a pair of points from Kuba Debosz and sub Brian Hosey who could have scored the insurance goal. That goal came a minute later and what a goal it was with Ciaran Townsend capping a fine second half performance by scoring one of the best goals seen in Dr Cullen Park for a long time.

With the game entering stoppage time Kelvin Chatten scored the final point for the YI’s and the final score of the game came from Tinryland’s captain Shane Webb who also capped a fine performance with a point deep into stoppage time. Shortly afterwards referee Pat Murphy sounded the final whistle with Tinryland capturing the U16 division 1 title on a score of 2-8 to 1-6. All the Tinryland players can be proud of their efforts as can the backroom team of Joe Walshe, Tom Lawler, Martin “Scrapper” Byrne, Alan Doyle, and Ger Corcoran. Team: Adam Murphy, Fiach Byrne, Stephen Hanlon, Conor O’Toole, Luke Corcoran, Shane Webb, Owen Feelds, Kuba Debosz, Owen O’Gorman, Diarmuid Walshe, Barry Power, Marcus Lawler, Ciaran Townsend, Andrew Hanley. Subs Adam Nolan, Mark Lawlor, Brian Hosey, Conal O’ Se, Sean Kirwan, Lee Mannion, Adam Mullen, Brian Mullen, Sean Hayden, Luke Nolan, Conor Nolan