Match Reports‎ > ‎

Tinrylands Final Flourish overhauls Pal in exciting Carlow S.F.C. encounter

posted 23 Jul 2012, 01:52 by

By Eamonn Byrne


Tinryland senior footballers laid down a marker for this years Carlow S.F.C. when they showed guts and determination to defeat neighbours Palatine in a tense but exciting Carlow S.F.C. 2nd round game at Dr Cullen Park on Sunday 22nd July.

Like the Rathvilly game one week earlier Tinryland had to do it the hard way after surrendering a 2 point half time lead in the opening stages of the 2nd half.

Tinryland began this game in whirlwind fashion and were 3 points up within 8 minutes after excellent scores from Shane O’Neill, Keith Jackson and  a Paul Broderick free.

Jacksons point in the 3rd minute was a gem of a score and was the product of great interplay between himself, Shane Redmond and Paul Broderick.

Pal who dominated Tinryland in the two recent league games were slow to start on this occasion and it took the Kildare border side all of 10 minutes to register their first score when Paddy Cushen pointed. The next 7 minutes were scoreless with both sides missing easy chances but Palatine were only one point in arrears in the 17th minute following a well worked score by Paul Reid. Paul Broderick then increased Tinryland’s advantage to two points again after good work by Jeff Sutton and Cian Lawlor. The first real goal chance then fell to Palatine in the 20th minute but a miracle save by Danny Moran deflected the ball to safety after Reids rasper looked to be heading for the net with Trevor O’Reilly beaten. The closing stages of the first half saw a Danny Moran point ( 24th minute) and a super Paul Broderick point in the 29th minute cancelled out by two Pal scores to leave the interval tally Tinryland 0-6 Palatine 0-4.

When the second half began Tinryland extended their lead to three points once again when Evan Doyle slotted over a free  but the complexion of the game then changed when Palatine opened up our defence to crash home a goal which left matters all square by the 33rd minute. A Pal point one minute later saw our neighbours lead for the first time in the game and they could have put us in trouble shortly afterwards but for an inspirational save by Trevor O’Reilly which denied them another goal. Padraig Townsend then briefly put us back on level terms with a well worked point but Pal were back in front by the 43rd minute when Brian Kelly raised a white flag. Evan Doyle and Paul Reid then traded points which left Pal still ahead by the minimum with 9 minutes remaining. Like the Rathvilly game Tinryland’s fitness then clicked in and when defender Niall Barrett won a valuable free Paul Broderick converted to leave the score all square with 2 minutes remaining. The remainder of the game was a joy to watch as Tinryland hunting in packs went in search of the winner. It duly arrived in the 59th minute when Jeff Sutton scored a spectacular point and when Diarmaid Walshe pointed deep in injury time the Tinryland fans were in happy mood having witnessed a really honest effort from the team. Naomh Eoin are our next opponents on  Friday August 11th followed by Kildavin-Clonegal one week later and Mount Leinster Ranger in early September. Final score Tinryland 0-12 Palatine 1-7 .

Tinryland: Trevor O’Reilly, Jeff Sutton 0-1, John Paul Moore, Niall Barrett, Danny Moran 0-1, Shane Redmond, Mark Dempsey, Keith Jackson 0-1, Glen Doyle, Cian Lawlor, Padraig Townsend 0-1, Shane O’Neill 0-1, Paul Broderick (Captain) 0-4, Evan Doyle 0-2, Cormac Walshe. Subs Diarmaid Walshe 0-1, Alan Barrett, Ian Scully