Match Reports‎ > ‎

Tinryland Seniors qualify for Co. semi- final after gritty display against Palatine

posted 14 Sep 2014, 02:15 by   [ updated 14 Sep 2014, 02:24 ]

By Eamonn Byrne    

Tinryland senior footballers are one hour away from a place in this year’s Michael Lyng motors Carlow S.F.C. final after a gritty win against neighbours Palatine in a thoroughly entertaining group 1 decider in Dr Cullen Park on Saturday 13th September.

This was a game that had a bit of everything including red cards, yellow cards and black cards but also passages of fine play from both sides which kept the supporters of both teams  riveted to their seats up to the closing stages when Tinryland eventually put daylight between themselves and the men of Cnoc Arda.

Tinryland were first out of the blocks and could have had a goal within 30 seconds of the throw in when Paul Broderick hit the post with Pal goalie Craig Kearney beaten. Jeff Sutton then missed a good chance of our opening point before Pal no 12 David Reid gave his side the lead with a well taken point after 2 minutes. Within 60 seconds parity was restored when Paul Broderick slotted over Tinryland’s opening point following good work by Padraig Townsend and Diarmaid Walshe. Paul Broderick amazingly then hit the upright again as Tinryland attacked in droves but after more good link play between John Paul Moore and Cormac Walshe, midfielder Keith Jackson gave Tinryland the lead for the first time after 5 minutes with a well taken point. Palatine were then forced to make an early substitution replacing the injured corner back Jeff Deering with Aidan Murphy as Tinryland extended the lead with a well worked point after good interplay between the Walshe brothers Cormac and Diarmaid. Back came Palatine and David Reid doubled his tally with another point after eleven minutes before Cormac Walshe slotted over a free at the Dublin road end for a foul on Padraig Townsend. Padraig then got in on the scoring act again when he extended the Tinryland lead to 3 points in the 13th minute following good play by Evan Doyle but at the other end Palatine full forward Jason Kane slotted over a point to leave 2 points separating the sides once again.

Palatine were then dealt a blow when David Reid received his marching orders for a misdemeanour which was well spotted by a linesman and their woes were compounded one minute later when Tinryland full forward Richie Whyte crashed the ball past Craig Kearney after more good play by Evan Doyle. The Tinryland lead was extended out to 6 points by the 15th minute when Cormac Walshe pointed but it was Pal who then upped the ante despite their numerical disadvantage. Three successive points from Brian Kelly (2) and Niall Reid left only a goal separating the sides and it could have been all square at this stage only for a tremendous save by Trevor O’Reilly who prevented a certain goal. A Jeff Sutton point 4 minutes from half time restored Tinryland’s lead back out to 4 points but then out of nothing the ball ended up in Trevor O’Reilly’s net after a defensive error gifted Jason Kane a goal. At the other end a tremendous run by Evan Doyle resulted in his goalbound shot being deflected over for a point but a foul by Tinryland defender John Paul Moore resulted in a black card and a point for Pal from the subsequent free by Brian “Skeach” Kelly. With Conor Byrne introduced into the fray for the black carded J.P.Moore Palatine equalised on the stroke of half time to leave the scoreboard reading 1-8 each and all to play for.

The second half began like the first on a positive note for Tinryland with Paul Broderick restoring the lead from a ’45. Jeff Sutton who was excellent throughout scored a brilliant point to extend the lead to 2 points but Palatine would not lie down and the teams were then locked together after a point from a ’45 by goalie Craig Kearney in Stephen Cluxton fashion and another successful conversion by sharpshooter Brian Kelly from a free. Tinryland then rang the changes introducing John Dwyer and Glen Doyle into the action but it was Pal who regained the lead in the 41st minute with a point from wing back Paul Reid. Tinryland finally began to get serious and with the fresh legs helping, parity was restored once again by a tremendous Paul Broderick point after he swivelled through the Pal. defence to land the score of the night. With 15 minutes remaining Tinryland regained the lead with a well taken Keith Jackson point and within a minute it got even better for Tinryland when Glen Doyle won a penalty which was converted by Paul Broderick to leave the scoreboard reading 2-12 to 1-11 with 10 minutes remaining. Tinryland then made maximum use of their strong bench by introducing Cathal O’Toole and Ian Scully into the action and in a very professional closing 10 minutes dominated possession limiting Palatine to just one more point while adding on 3 more at the other end via Cathal O’Toole, Glen Doyle and Keith Jackson deep in stoppage time.

Referee John Hickey then sounded the final whistle to loud cheers from the Tinryland supporters and we were back in the semi- final for the first time since 2011. Final score Tinryland 2-15 Palatine 1-12. 

This was a good display overall by Tinryland with the defence well marshalled by Trevor O’Reilly Danny Moran, Jeff Sutton, Mark Dempsey, John Paul Moore, Shane Redmond, Matthew O’Toole and sub Conor Byrne. At midfield Keith Jackson and Cian Moore put in good shifts while up front Padraig Townsend, Cormac Walshe, Evan Doyle, Paul Broderick, Richie Whyte and Diarmaid Walshe worked their socks off. They were helped in a big way by the fresh legs of John Dwyer, Glen Doyle, Cathal O’Toole, and Ian Scully who all made a big impact when introduced in the second half and proved how important it is to have a strong bench to call on.

Tinryland: Trevor O’Reilly, Danny Moran, Mark Dempsey, John Paul Moore, Jeff Sutton 0-2, Shane Redmond, Matthew O’Toole, keith Jackson 0-3, Cian Moore, Padraig Townsend 0-2, Cormac Walshe 0-2, Evan Doyle 0-1, Paul Broderick 1-3, Richard Whyte 1-0, Diarmaid Walshe. Subs: Conor Byrne, Glen Doyle 0-1, Cathal O’Toole 0-1, John Dwyer, Ian Scully.