Match Reports‎ > ‎

Tinryland Seniors One step away from Carlow S.F.C. semi- final after another good performance

posted 10 Aug 2014, 02:19 by

By Eamonn Byrne

Tinryland senior footballers are sitting pretty at the top of Group 1 of the Michael Lyng Motors Carlow S.F.C. following another inspiring victory against fancied Rathvilly at Dr. Cullen Park on Saturday 9th August. The men in blue and white can automatically qualify for the Co. semi- final if they draw with or defeat unbeaten Palatine on Saturday 13th September. The seeds for this victory were sown in a great first half when Tinryland’s work rate saw the game being taken to Rathvilly and the half time lead of 0-8 to 0-4 did not do justice to the performance with many Rathvilly supporters admitting that Tinryland should have been out of sight at this stage.

In a high octane opening 10 minutes Tinryland took the lead with a Diarmaid Walshe point after 60 seconds following good play by Shane O’Neill, Paul Broderick and Cian Moore. That score was doubled three minutes later when Cormac Walshe slotted over a point following good interplay with his brother Diarmaid and the energetic Jeff Sutton. Tinryland were then given a scare when goalkeeper Trevor O’Reilly appeared to be injured following a clearance that resulted in a ’45 for the Wicklow border side which was converted by J.J. Smith. Tinryland continued to press however and Matthew O’Toole scored a great point in the 8th minute following a passing movement involving himself, Diarmaid Walshe and Cian Moore. Diarmaid Walshe was involved in the next score also when he linked up with Shane Redmond and Paul Broderick for the latter to score a beauty. Rathvilly then began to enjoy a mini purple patch resulting in their only 1st half point from play by wing forward Ed. Finnegan and another J.J. Smith conversion from a free kick. With one quarter of the game gone Tinryland upped the ante once again with Paul Broderick slotting over a free for a foul on Cathal O’Toole. A great passing movement involving Shane Redmond, Conor Byrne and Richie Whyte saw the latter pick out Paul Broderick with a pin point pass and our ace marksman duly delivered another beauty to leave the scoreboard reading 0-6 to 0-3 after 17 minutes. It got even better for Tinryland at this stage of proceedings with Matthew O’Toole scoring his second point of the half after good play from Cian Moore. Matthew was then extremely unlucky in the 19th minute when his rasping shot which was heading for the net suddenly rose and hit the cross bar to give Rathvilly a let off. In the 25th minute Paul Broderick won a free close to the stand sideline and cool as a cucumber he slotted over our 8th point of the half. The first half then ended with Brian Murphy slotting over a free for Rathvilly but we were then dealt a blow when Shane O’Neill was black carded for a challenge just before the late arriving referee Jonathan Murphy blew the half time whistle. Half time score Tinryland 0-8 Rathvilly 0-4  

When play resumed Glen Doyle was introduced for Shane O’Neill but it was Rathvilly who began to turn the screw and they were back on level terms as early as the 36th minute following a point and a goal from Garry Dempsey and Danny Molloy who had come on as a sub. Tinryland were still playing composed football but 5 wides in the opening 10 minutes was all they could show. We eventually regained the lead in the 40th minute when Cathal O’Toole won a free following good work by Shane Redmond and Paul Broderick duly converted to leave the scoreboard reading 0-9 to 1-5 mid way through the 2nd half. John Paul Moore was then introduced into the action for Conor Byrne who had picked up a dead leg near the end of the first half and the scores were all square once again with 10 minutes remaining when Rathvilly’s Ed Finnegan raised a white flag. Brendan Murphy was unlucky to see his shot come back off the post before Cian Moore was then black carded to be replaced by Evan Doyle. With 7 minutes remaining Richie Whyte capped another fine performance when he lofted a high ball straight between the Rathvilly posts to regain the lead. After Keith Jackson was narrowly wide Rathvilly stormed upfield and Brendan Murphy who had just received a yellow card levelled matters once again. With Rathvilly needing a win after losing to Palatine in the previous round they went for the jugular but great defending by Danny Moran, Matthew O’Toole, Shane Redmond, Jeff Sutton, Mark Dempsey and John Paul Moore combined with good fielding by Glen Doyle, Cormac Walshe and Keith Jackson kept them at bay and we were rewarded in the 29th minute when Paul Broderick once again showed his class with a superb point to regain the lead. With both sets of supporters roaring on their team Tinryland made one last substitution when Mark Dempsey was forced to retire in stoppage time after a knock. Owan O’Gorman his replacement was only seconds on the field when he drifted up to the forward line and after receiving the ball crossed in to the square where Evan Doyle deflected it to the net making sure by kicking it in past Rathvilly goalkeeper Robbie Molloy. After a few more minutes of stoppage time Tinryland supporters cheered when referee Murphy blew the full time whistle and a thoroughly deserved victory was achieved to put us top of the group going into the mouth- watering local derby with Palatine on Saturday 13th September. Final score Tinryland 1-11 Rathvilly 1-7.

Tinryland: Trevor O’Reilly, Danny Moran, Mark Dempsey, Conor Byrne, Jeff Sutton, Shane Redmond, Matthew O’Toole 0-2, Cormac Walshe 0-1, Cian Moore, Shane O’Neill, Richie Whyte 0-1, Cathal O’Toole, Paul Broderick 0-6 3 frees, Diarmaid Walshe 0-1, Keith Jackson. Subs Glen Doyle, John Paul Moore, Evan Doyle 1-0, Owan O’Gorman.