Match Reports‎ > ‎

Tinryland Seniors lose out to Old Leighlin in a game dominated by the elements

posted 11 Apr 2016, 10:09 by
By Eamonn Byrne

Tinryland senior footballers suffered a 2nd successive defeat in this seasons S.F.L. Division 1 when losing out to Old Leighlin at Rathcrogue on Sunday 10th April. In a game dominated by a very strong wind Tinryland failed to capitalise with the elements in their favour in the opening half when playing into the motorway end of the pitch.

The home team missed a gilt edged goal chance within 20 seconds of the throw in when Cian Moore was inches wide after great play by Peter Hennessy and Conor O’Toole. Old Leighlin who were playing a containing game against the wind set the tone from then on and when they were presented with a goal chance in the 7th minute corner forward John Ryan made no mistake with a rasping shot into the top corner of Trevor O’Reilly’s net. Tinryland responded with successful free kicks from the returning Paul Broderick before John Ryan extended the Old Leighlin advantage back out to 2 points when he raised a white flag in the 18th minute. Another Broderick dead ball conversion left the minimum between the teams in the 24th minute after a free was won by Matthew O’Toole. Four minutes later Tinryland scored their first point from play when Matthew O’Toole slotted over a sublime point to level matters but the boys in blue and white looked to have a mountain to climb facing into the 2nd half despite a brilliantly struck Paul Broderick free from 55m just before referee David Hughes sounded the half time whistle. Half Time score Tinryland 0-5 Old Leighlin 1-1.

When the teams re-appeared Tinryland had introduced Conor Byrne and Cathal O’Toole into the action. Old Leighlin quickly got back on terms within a minute before Broderick converted another free for the home side after a foul on Glen Doyle. Old Leighlin full forward Seamus Kinsella levelled matters once again from a free and when the same player repeated the dose in the 41st minute Old Leighlin’s tails were up with the very strong wind proving a major asset to their cause. Two more points from the men from Molaise Park from Seamus Kinsella and Hughie Gahan extended their advantage and when Gahan rattled the net with 11 minutes remaining Tinryland had a mammoth task on their hands with the wind never relenting.

The Tinryland selectors introduced Shane Redmond into the fray for his first game in 9 months and they also sprung Mark Lawlor and Andrew Hanley from the bench in an effort to claw back the defecit. To their credit Tinryland began to up their game asking questions of the Old Leighlin rearguard. Paul Broderick with another successful free and Andrew Hanley with a well worked point reduced the margin to 4 points before Old Leighlin who lost 2 players to black cards brought the scoring to a close when Michael Meaney pointed in the 61st minute. Final score Old Leighlin 2-7 Tinryland 0-8.

Tinryland seniors are back in league action on next Sunday evening 17th April away to Rathvilly in Fr Ryan Park at 6 p.m. when more than 2 points from play will be needed if Tinryland are to bring back the league points.

Tinryland: Trevor O’Reilly, Danny Moran, Mark Dempsey, Dylan Byrne, Conor O’Toole, Cathal Gaffney, Conor McGrath, Glen Doyle, Peter Hennessy, Diarmaid Walshe, Matthew O’Toole 0-1, Niall Lowry, Ciaran Larkin, Paul Broderick 0-6 Frees, Cian Moore. Subs: Conor Byrne, Cathal O’Toole, Shane Redmond, Mark Lawlor, Andrew Hanley 0-1.