Match Reports‎ > ‎

Tinryland seniors lose by the minimum margin to newly promoted Ballinabranna

posted 6 Apr 2015, 02:19 by

By Eamonn Byrme

Tinryland senior footballers lost out by the minimum margin in the S.F.L. division 1 to newly promoted Ballinabranna at Rathcrogue on Sunday evening. Despite opening the scoring within 15 seconds of the throw in with a Diarmaid Walshe point it was Ballinabranna who made the early running scoring 4 unanswered points between the 4th minute and the 14th minute. Points from Jimmy Cahill, Darren Lunney (2), and Graham Amond showed that last year’s Intermediate champions were not down for the scenery. Tinryland gradually worked their way back in to the game and the home team enjoyed their best spell  scoring 5 points between the 15th and 30th minutes via Diarmaid Walshe (2), Glen Doyle, Keith Jackson following good work by the Lawlor brothers Cian and Mark with the latter player getting on the scoresheet himself seconds later. It could have been even better in this period but Diarmaid Walshe was narrowly wide with a gilt edged goal chance. In fairness Ballinabranna had goal chances also and within seconds of Diarmaid Walshe’s miss Jimmy Cahill was inches wide at the other end. Ballinabranna then scored late first half points via Darren Lunney and Jimmy Cahill before Cian Lawlor rattled the Ballinabranna net on the stroke of half time following a great pass from Diarmaid Walshe to leave the interval score Tinryland 1-6 Ballinabranna 0-6.

When referee Pat Kehoe restarted play Diarmaid Walshe was once again quick off the mark scoring a point within 45 seconds which stretched the Tinryland lead to 4 points. Ballinabranna replied with a Jimmy Cahill point before Diarmaid Walshe scored another for Tinryland as Ballinabranna player Tommy Jackson received a black card. Ballinabranna then settled down to enjoy their best spell of the match and points from Lunney, and Cahill were followed by a cracking Paddy Dunne goal which regained the lead for the men from the Laois-Kilkenny border. It got even better for Ballinabranna at this stage when the excellent Jimmy Cahill pointed but Tinryland did not lie down and a great Richard Whyte goal following an excellent passing movement involving Conor Byrne, Cormac Walshe and Padraig Whelan regained the lead for the home side. It was Ballinabranna however who once again got back on level terms before Diarmaid Walshe edged Tinryland in front once again approaching the end of normal time. Referee Pat Kehoe then added on 5 minutes due to stoppages and Ballinabranna showed their fitness to level matters once again with a point from Ceilum Darcy before the Peter McConnon trained outfit snatched all the points with the last kick of the game when Jimmy Cahill convereted a free for a foul by a Tinryland defender. Tinryland conceded 15 frees in this game and were punished by the accuracy of the Ballinabranna free takers. In the first half Tinryland kicked six wides also with a number of more wides in the second half at crucial times. The next league game will take place against Old Leighlin away on Sunday next 12th April. Final score Ballinabranna 1-13 Tinryland 2-9

Team: Trevor O’Reilly, Conor O’Toole, John Paul Moore, Matthew O’Toole, Shane Webb, Mark Dempsey, Cian Lawlor 1-0, Cian Moore, Keith Jackson 0-1, Cormac Walshe, Richard Whyte 1-0, Glen Doyle 0-1, Diarmaid Walshe 0-6, Evan Doyle, Mark Lawlor 0-1. Subs Danny Moran, Conor Byrne, Padraig Whelan. Jack Lowry.