Match Reports‎ > ‎

Tinryland Seniors ease into quarter final with good display against O’Hanrahans

posted 14 Sep 2016, 14:48 by

By Eamonn Byrne

Tinryland senior footballers qualified for the Michael Lyng Motors S.F.C. quarter final with a convincing victory against O’ Hanrahans at the Netwatch training centre Fenagh on Sunday 11th September. Tinryland made 3 changes to the starting 15 that lost heavily to Palatine in the previous round and looked a transformed team from the start against last year’s Intermediate champions. Playing against a very strong wind in the opening half Tinryland were very disciplined from the throw in denying O’Hanrahans possession for long phases. The game began with a Lee Walker point for the Blues in the 3rd minute but the sides were all square one minute later when the on form Diarmaid Walshe levelled matters after a good pass from Niall Lowry. Diarmaid repeated that feat in the 7th minute when he received the ball from Shane Webb. The men in blue and white were then dealt a blow when corner back Conor O’Toole received a nasty injury and after a considerable delay he was stretchered off to be replaced by Rory Doyle. Tinryland increased their advantage with points from Cathal Gaffney and Paul Broderick in the 17th and 18th minutes before Graham Power reduced the margin back to 2 points with a successful free in the 20th minute. Good play by team captain Shane Redmond resulted in another Paul Broderick point after 22 minutes but the blues then enjoyed a brief period of supremecy scoring 2 points from frees via Graham Power to leave the minimum separating the teams after 25 minutes. The closing stages of the half and the extra 7 minutes of stoppage time saw Tinryland at their best both in defence and attack and Cathal Gaffney was unlucky to only score a point when a goal was on in the 26th minute. Matthew O’Toole who had a fine game throughout stretched the Tinryland advantage to 3 points seconds later. The icing on the cake after a thoroughly professional first half performance came in the 34th minute when Diarmaid Walshe scored the only goal of the game after great play by Niall Lowry and Conor Byrne. Soon afterwards referee pat Murphy sounded the half time whistle and the teams retired to the dressing rooms with the Blues facing a mammoth task against the very strong wind. Half time score Tinryland 1-8 O’Hanrahans 0-5.

The second half began with Danny Thompson converting a free for O’Hanrahans after 4 minutes but this was matched by another Diarmaid Walshe beauty after more good play by Shane Webb. Tinryland then had a gilt edged goal chance but O’Hanrahans goalkeeper Jamie Hennessy denied Mark Dempsey with a brilliant save. Another great point from Matthew O’Toole was followed by a Shane Webb point and a great score from midfielder Peter Hennessy which left 9 points separating the teams with 20 minutes remaining. Matthew O’Toole capped a fine hour’s work with another cracking point before O’Hanrahans clawed one back via sub Paul Condron in the 43rd minute. The town team were then dealt a blow when wing forward Mark Davis received a second yellow card from the referee and Tinryland turned the screw further with another Matthew O’Toole beauty as Glen Doyle was introduced for the hard working Mark Dempsey with 12 minutes remaining. It did not take Glen long to make an impact and he slotted over a great point after good play by Cathal Gaffney in the 51st minute which stretched Tinryland’s lead to eleven points. Tinryland then began to empty the bench introducing Conor McGrath, Cathal O’Toole and Mark Lawlor into the fray before another Glen Doyle point put us 12 clear. The closing stages saw the Blues score 2 consolation points via sub John nangle and a final point from lee Walker before Tinryland closed the scoring with a brilliant Diarmaid Walshe point following a matthew O’Toole pass after 5 minutes of stoppage time. The entire 20 playes who were in action on Sunday can be pleased with their 70 plus minutes work and they will now face former champions Old Leighlin in the quarter final at Netwatch Cullen Park on Saturday next 17th September. Final score Tinryland 1-17 O’Hanrahans 0-9.

Tinryland: Ciaran Byrne, Conor O’Toole, Conor Byrne, Danny Moran, Cathal Gaffney 0-2, Cian Moore, Niall Lowry, Shane Redmond, Peter Hennessy 0-1, Matthew O’ Toole 0-4, Mark Dempsey, Shane Webb 0-1, Diarmaid Walshe 1-5, Paul Broderick 0-2, Cormac Walshe. Subs: Rory Doyle, Cathal O’Toole, Glen Doyle 0-2, Mark Lawlor, Conor McGrath.