Match Reports‎ > ‎

Tinryland Minors put on impressive display to reach league Final

posted 26 May 2014, 11:15 by

 By Eamonn Byrne         

Tinryland minor footballers reached the Carlow M.F.L. Division 1 final for the second successive year with a convincing victory over neighbours Palatine at Dr. Cullen Park on Sunday 25th May. When these teams met in the group stages of the league Palatine defeated an understrength Tinryland by 6 points. On Sunday last Tinryland had their Co. players back and never were headed after impressive wing forward Ciaran Larkin put the ball in the Pal net 35 seconds after the throw in. By the 8th minute Tinryland were seven points clear after a succession of points from Larkin, Niall Lowry, Cathal Gaffney and Andrew Hanly.  Gaffneys point in the 7th minute was the product of great play from centre back Adam Dunne and corner forward Conall O’Se. Palatine then got to grips with the game played in torrential rain and points from Conal Slater, Shane O’Neill and Cian Fitzpatrick (2) left only three points separating the sides by the 20th minute. This was the cue for Tinryland to drive on again however and further scores from Conor McGrath and Ciaran Larkin left the boys in hoops leading by 5 again prior to another Palatine revival when Cian Fitzpatrick put the ball in the Tinryland net in the 26th minute. Tinryland responded positively to this score and added on two further points from Niall Lowry and Andrew Hanley before referee John Thompson gave the players some relief from the rain when he sounded the half time whistle. Half time score Tinryland 1-8 Palatine 1-4

When play resumed James McGrath was introduced for Conall O’Se and by the 32nd minute his cousin Conor McGrath stretched the Tinryland lead when he pointed following good play from Conor O’Toole and Mark Lawlor. James McGrath then got in on the action scoring a hat trick of points within 3 minutes as Tinryland upped the ante in a big way. Tinryland were now playing superb football with the entire defence denying Palatine a chance to score. At the other end Tinryland continued to pile on the scores and by the 22nd minute had added a further 2 goals with Mark Lawlors flicked effort in the 48th minute a classic full forward finish in the mould of legendary Tinryland player Mick “Yank” Farrells goal into the same Dublin road end  that won the 1972 Carlow senior final.  Palatine were still without a second half score by the 59th minute as Tinryland emptied the bench introducing Conall Dunne, John Fleming and Killian Maher into the fray. Fleming was denied a certain goal when he hit the upright shortly after his arrival but Tinryland eventually got their 4th goal when Cathal Gaffney capped a very impressive performance by lobbing the Palatine goalkeeper with 3 minutes remaining.

The final acts of the game saw Andrew Hanley adding another Tinryland point before Palatine got their only 2nd half point in the final minute to leave the full time score at 4-15 to 1-5 in favour of Tinryland. As stated above this was a great team effort from Tinryland with goalkeeper Ciaran Byrne directing a  disciplined defence of Bradleigh Nolan, John Murphy, Dylan Reamsbottom, Cathal Gaffney, Adam Dunne and Fionnan Burke.  Co. players Conor McGrath and Niall Lowry did trojan work at midfield while up front Ciaran Larkin, Andrew Hanley and Cathal O’Toole were well supported by Conall O’Se, Mark Lawlor and Dean Dunne together with excellent sub. James McGrath

The final against Eire Og was due to be played on Wednesday next but has now been postponed until after the state examinations.

Tinryland: Ciaran Byrne, Bradleigh Nolan, John Murphy, Dylan Reamsbottom, Cathal Gaffney 1-1, Adam Dunne, Fionnan Burke, Niall Lowry 0-4, Conor McGrath 0-2, Ciaran Larkin 1-2, Andrew Hanley 0-3, Cathal O’Toole, Conall O’Se, Mark Lawlor 1-0, Dean Dunne. Subs James McGrath 0-3, Seamus Curran, Conall Dunne 1-0, John Fleming, Killian Maher.