Match Reports‎ > ‎

Tinryland Minors come from behind to reach league final

posted 16 Nov 2013, 11:50 by
By Eamonn Byrne
Three weeks after enduring disappointment in the championship final replay Tinryland minors qualified for the minor league final when they came from behind to defeat Rathvilly at Bro Leo park in Tullow on Saturday 16th November.

From the throw in it was Rathvilly who looked the team that was up for this fixture played on an ideal day considering it is mid November .The Wicklow border side were first to the ball and by the 15th minute they led by 1-3 to 0-1 with Diarmaid Walshe opening the Tinryland account in the 12th minute following good work from Andrew Hanley. Rathvilly continued to carry the game to Tinryland but it was Ciaran Townsend who scored his sides 2nd point in the 18th minute following a great run from defence by Dylan Reamsbottom who was Tinryland’s best player on view. By the 23rd minute Tinryland had reduced the margin to a single point when Ciaran Townsend found the Rathvilly net following a pass from Diarmaid Walshe. The final act of the opening half saw the Rathvilly wing forward slot over an excellent point to leave the half time score Rathvilly 1-4 Tinryland 1-2.

At half time Tinryland introduced Conor O’Toole into the fray and within 60 seconds of the restart Brian Mullen had reduced the Rathvilly lead to the minimum when he slotted over an excellent point. Similar to the championship semi final between these two teams it was Rathvilly who scored an early second half goal to put the cat among the pigeons once again. Up popped Brian Mullen to score another point and when Ciaran Townsend converted a free in the 41st minute only 2 points separated the sides. Tinryland then introduced  U16 player Peter Hennessy into the action and by the 44th minute only the minimum separated the teams once again after a point from Diarmaid Walshe. This score received a quick response from the Rathvilly boys who stretched clear by 2 points once again in the 47th minute. Like the championship semi final it was Tinryland who began to get on top in the closing stages and a free from Ciaran Townsend with 9 minutes remaining was followed by the equalising score from Diarmaid Walshe in the 58th minute. Tinryland then went in search of the winner and with 1 minute of normal time left Shane Webb like he did in the Co semi final slotted over the lead point. This was the first time in the game that Tinryland led and when Shane repeated the dose on the stroke of full time Tinryland were almost there. With the referee playing 3 minutes of stoppage time Rathvilly then went in search of a goal to salvage the game. A row developed on the sideline which looked to be getting out of control and at one stage the referee appeared to suffer as all hell appeared to break out. When things settled down one player from each side received a straight red card before the referee sensibly blew for full time. Tinryland will now face Eire Og once again next weekend in the League  final but will have to improve considerably from todays performance to defeat the Co champions. Final Score Tinryland 1-10 Rathvilly 2-5