Match Reports‎ > ‎

Tinryland Juniors qualify for J.F.C. (B) Quarter Final despite loss to Askea

posted 3 Sep 2015, 13:40 by

By Eamonn Byrne

Tinryland Junior footballers will play Old Leighlin in the J.F.C. (B) quarter final following their 10 point defeat to championship favourites Askea in the final group game of the league stages at Netwatch Cullen Park on Wednesday 2nd September.  With the winners of this table topping game automatically qualifying for the semi-final it was the well drilled and fitter Carlow town side that made their intentions known in the early stages as they raced into a 5 point lead within 9 minutes of the throw in. A pair of points each from Askea midfielder Jimmy White and corner forward Johnny Kavanagh set the tone for this game and when centre forward Conor Byrne added a 5th Askea point in the 9th minute Tinryland looked to be in for a difficult evening. To their credit the men in blue and white hoops then knuckled down to play their best football over the next 15 minutes with Garry (Gooche) Fields opening the Tinryland account in the 10th minute after good work by Adam Murphy.

Johnny Kavanagh the former Carlow senior player then increased the Askea lead before Tinryland fluffed 2 gilt edged goal chances when Jack Lowry and Dean Farrell were both narrowly wide with goals at their mercy. Askea led by 6 points by the 17th minute when their midfielder Paul Murphy raised a white flag before Padraig Whelan steadied the Tinryland ship with a well taken point in the 18th minute. Garry Fields then slotted over a wonderful point following more good play by Adam Murphy and when David Townsend and Padraig Whelan converted points in the 22nd and 23rd minutes only 2 points separated the sides. The game changer then arrived in the 26th minute when former Tinryland player Conor O’Brien found the Tinryland net following good play by Tebogo Sebala and when David Regan slotted over an Askea point in the 29th minute six points separated the sides once again. Tinryland were dealt a further blow at this stage when rock steady defender Sean Kirwan was forced to retire with a shoulder injury. The final act of the first half was a David Townsend point for Tinryland to leave the half time scoreboard reading Askea 1-8 Tinryland 0-6.

When the second half began Tinryland had introduced 3 subs Eoin Fields, Shane O’Neill and Kevin Barrett. Garry Fields gave Tinryland hope as early as the 31st minute when he scored a good point but 3 quick points from Johnny Kavanagh stretched the Askea lead out to 7 points as Peter Hennessy was introduced into the fray for Tinryland. A great point from Adam Murphy following good play by Shane O’Neill could easily have resulted in a goal but it was that man Kavanagh again that stretched the Askea lead further with points in the 45th and 48th minutes. A successful Jimmy White penalty in the 50th minute put this game beyond Tinryland’s reach but to their credit Tinryland never stopped trying and scored 3 points from Garry Fields (2) and one of their best players David Townsend as Askea concluded their scoring with 2 further Johnny Kavanagh points to give the former Co. man a personal tally of eleven points. Final score Askea 2-15 Tinryland 0-11.

Tinryland: Ciaran Byrne, Eddie Dowling (captain), Peter Doran, Sean Kirwan, Adam Mullen, Padraig Delaney, Garry Scully, Adam Murphy 0-1, Gregg Murphy, Padraig Whelan 0-2, Dean Farrell, Owan O’Gorman, Garry Fields 0-5, Jack Lowry, david Townsend 0-3. Subs: Shane O’Neill, Kevin Barrett, Eoin Fields, Peter Hennessy, Alan Kirwan, John Jackson.