Match Reports‎ > ‎

Tinryland Junior B team bow out of championship but still show potential

posted 22 Aug 2012, 14:05 by

By Eamonn Byrne

Despite losing their quarter final game to Kilbride’s 2nd string by 3 points Tinryland’s 3rd team performed with honour at Pairc Ui Bhrian on Tuesday 21st August.

This was a game that could have been won by Tinryland who did well despite little or no training during the year. Having been forced to withdraw from the Div. 4 league due to lack of numbers there was over 20 players in the dressing room on Tuesday following the first round win over Old Leighlin. In an evenly matched 1st half Kilbrides Paul Kealy opened the scoring in the 3rd minute with a well taken point. After good defending by Tinryland’s Paddy Brown Anthony Mannion opened the Tinryland account in the 6th minute. Further good Tinryland defensive work by Barry Kennedy, Jason Noctor and goalkeeper David O’Neill kept Kilbride at bay before Kealy scored his second point for Kilbride which was added to in the 16th minute when Brian Butler made it 3 points to 1 for the Slaneysiders.

Two minutes later Tinryland made an inspired move when James Murphy was switched into the full forward line and he made an immediate impact by crashing home a gem of a goal following a pin point pass from Garry Scully. In the 21st minute Kilbride midfielder Paddy Doyle slotted over the equalising point before Brian Butler found the Tinryland net. The last act of the first half saw Colm Kennedy slot over a Tinryland point to leave the half time score Kilbride 1-5  Tinryland 1-2

The second half was only 40 seconds old when David O’Neill was forced to make a great save to prevent another Kilbride goal. In the 37th minute Anthony Mannion reduced the margin to 2 points when he raised a white flag. Kilbride then stretched their lead to 4 points with scores in the 38th and 39th minutes before Garry Scully scored the goal of the match with a 40 yard strike to the roof of the Kilbride net. With only one point now separating the sides Tinryland supporters must have scented victory but it was Kilbride who upped their game in the closing stages adding a further 3 points via Paul Kealy and Derek Vance (2) which helped them advance to the semi final. Corner back Paddy Brown scored the last point for Tinryland in the 62nd minute to leave the final score Kilbride 1-10  Tinryland 2-4.

Following the game Tinryland chairman Peenie Whelan addressed the players in the dressing room and as well as thanking them for their efforts he asked for real commitment next season. A little more commitment from the squad could result in League and championship success next season.

Team: David o’Neill, Paddy Brown 0-1, Declan Redmond, Jason Noctor, Liam Fitzpatrick, James Dempsey, Barry Kennedy, Paul McGrath, Alan Kirwan, Garry Scully1-0, John Farrell, James Murphy 1-0, Colm Kennedy 0-1, Anthony Mannion 0-2, Michael Delaney. Subs: Sean Conlon,