Match Reports‎ > ‎

Tinryland exit Senior Football League at semi final stage to Old Leighlin

posted 1 Jul 2013, 01:46 by

  By Eamonn Byrne

Tinryland senior footballers lost out to old rivals Old Leighlin in the first semi final of the 2013 S.F.L. in Dr. Cullen park on Sunday evening 30th June. This game began with both teams missing early chances before the winners opened their account in the 5th minute when midfielder David Bambrick slotted over a point. Tinryland replied within a minute when Glen Doyle scored an excellent point. With wind advantage Old Leighlin continued to press and the pressure paid off in the 10th minute when Hughie Gahan won a penalty which eventually ended up in the Tinryland net after Seamus Kinsella’s initial kick came off Darren Murphy’s crossbar. Co. player Willie Minchin was credited with this goal which should have been cleared after the original kick was unsuccessful.

Old Leighlin were on a bit of a roll now and wing back David Dowling stretched their advantage by the 12thminute when he scored a spectacular point with the wind in his back. The game then took a twist when David Bambrick received a straight red card for a kick right in front of the referee’s eyes. This should have meant a huge advantage to Tinryland but like many games in the past it was the team with 14 players that continued to dominate and by the 20th minute Old Leighlin had stretched their advantage to 7 points following further points from Seamus Kinsella (2) and Hughie Gahan. After a good move involving the O’Toole brothers Matthew and Cathal,  Ian Scully was narrowly wide but Tinryland finally broke a 17 minute barren spell when Jeff Sutton who had recently been introduced pointed to leave the scoreboard reading 1-5 to 0-2 in Old Leighlin’s favour by the 23rd minute. Seamus Kinsella and Glen Doyle then traded points with the latter score the product of good interplay involving Garry Morrissey, Danny Moran and Jeff Sutton.

The final act of the first half saw Conor Byrne being fouled and Ian Scully converting the resulting free to leave the half time score Old Leighlin 1-6 Tinryland 0-4.

Tinryland took an eternity to reappear for the second half but when the game eventually re started the boys in blue and white set about reducing the Old Leighlin lead. In the 33rd minute it took a tremendous James Clarke save to deny Glen Doyle a goal and after more sloppy play by Tinryland it was Old Leighlin who scored what would prove to be their only second half point in the 36thminute. A great Matthew O’Toole point after Glen Doyle had won primary possession was Tinryland’s cue to begin their revival and when Cathal O’Toole won a free in the 40th minute he converted it himself to leave the scoreboard reading 1-7 to 0-6 in Old Leighlin’s favour with 18 minutes remaining.

Tinryland then enjoyed their most productive spell as they set about reducing the gap further and points from Cormac Walshe in the 42nd minute, Matthew O’Toole in the 44th and another Glen Doyle beauty in the 48th minute left the minimum between the sides and all the momentum with Tinryland with 10 minutes remaining.

Old Leighlin are a most experienced side however and they then scored the defining goal of the game in the 50thminute when defender John Hayden ghosted in behind the Tinryland defence to deflect a long delivery into the Tinryland net. This score gave the momentum back to the 2011 Co. champions and despite further points from Cathal O’Toole and Glen Doyle( another spectacular effort) it was Old Leighlin who held on to advance to a league final meeting with Rathvilly who were very easy winners over Palatine in the other semi final. It is back to the drawing board now for Tinryland before the championship begins at the end of July with the men in blue and white set for a repeat clash with Old Leighlin in the first round followed by further championship games with O’Hanrahans, Naomh Eoin, Eire Og and Mount Leinster Rangers during August and early September.Final score Old Leighlin 2-7 Tinryland 0-11

Tinryland:  Darren Murphy, Danny Moran, Cian Moore, Shane O’Neill, Conor Byrne, Mark Dempsey, Jack Lowry, John Dwyer, Garry Morrissey, Cormac Walshe 0-1, Ian Scully 0-1, Paul Doyle, Matthew O’Toole 0-2, Glen Doyle 0-4, Cathal O’Toole 0-2. Subs Jeff Sutton 0-1, John Paul Moore, Cian Lawlor.