Match Reports‎ > ‎

SFL Division 1 vs Kildavin-Clonegal

posted 22 Jun 2011, 12:52 by

Tinryland 0-17 Kildavin-Clonegal 1-9

By Eamonn Byrne

After conceding a goal within 60 seconds of the throw in to Kildavin-Clonegal scored by corner forward Joe Roberts Tinryland had to dig deep before producing a storming finish that saw them advance to the Carlow S.F.L. Division 1 semi final for the first time in 20 years on Tuesday last.

Following that early goal from the Wexford border side both teams traded points via Evan Doyle for Tinryland and Noel Conway for KC before the home side levelled in the 16th minute after Cormac Walshe, Cian Moore and Garry Morrissey raised white flags.

By the 20th minute Tinryland had edged into a two point lead following further points from Walshe and Morrissey, the latter score a beauty following good work by Cian Moore, Conor Byrne, Danny Moran and Evan Doyle.

The closing stages of the opening half saw Kildavin-Clonegal finish in a flourish and points from Noel Conway, David Byrne, Pauric Hickey and Joe Roberts to a solitary point for Tinryland by Ian Scully left the south Carlow side ahead by 1-5 to 0-7 when referee Brian Deering sounded the half time whistle.

Turning over with wind advantage Kildavin-Clonegal enjoyed another productive spell in the opening 10 minutes of the second half and they had stretched into a 4 point lead after 40 minutes following a hat trick of points from their best forward Joe Roberts and Noel Conway.

Amazingly the latters point in the 40th minute proved to be the last score of the game for the Kildavin-Clonegal men and after the introduction of Glen Doyle in the 41st minute Tinryland began to turn the screw. Two quick Doyle points and similar scores from Cormac Walshe and Ian Scully left the sides all square with 14 minutes remaining and Tinryland were now in overdrive scoring further points from play via Walshe and the hard working Robbie Power. It was all Tinryland now and on the few occasions that Kildavin-Clonegal went on the attack the Tinryland defence comfortably held them at bay. Entering stoppage time Robbie Power and Cormac Walshe both capped fine performances by raising further white flags to leave the final score 0-17 to 1-9 in favour of Tinryland with 14 of those Tinryland points coming from open play.

This was a fine overall performance by the men in blue and white hoops who can look forward to having their Co. players Trevor O’Reilly, Shane Redmond and John Paul Moore back for the upcoming championship. Goalkeeper Darren Murphy proved an able deputy for O’Reilly and he was well supported by a strong defence led by Conor Byrne at full back who was well supported by corner backs Jeff Sutton and Danny Moran. The half back line of Padraig Whelan, Padraig Delaney and Niall Barrett worked hard throughout while at mid field Cian Moore and Keith Jackson held their own against their KC counterparts David Byrne and Pauric Hickey. Up front the Tinryland forwards led by Cormac Walshe who scored 5 points were in fine form  and Ian Scully, Garry Morrissey, Padraig Townsend, Robbie Power, Evan and Glen Doyle contributed well to Tinryland’s best performance this season.

Kildavin-Clonegal will be a little dissappointed with their final quarter fade out but at the end of the day they will be looking forward to the next meeting between these sides in the Carlow S.F.C. at the end of August. They had outstanding performers in goalkeeper Wayne Austin, Shane Mernagh Liam Murphy, David Byrne, Joe Roberts, and Andrew Nolan.