Match Reports‎ > ‎

SFC Semi-Final vs Rathvilly

posted 25 Sep 2011, 04:15 by
Tinryland Seniors reach Co final for first time since 1992

By Eamonn Byrne

Tinryland senior footballers defied the odds to reach the Co final by defeating hot favourites Rathvilly in a nail biting and intense encounter at Dr Cullen Park on Saturday evening 24th September. The seeds for this historic win were sown in the first half when Tinryland played disiplined and intelligent football to hold their Wicklow border rivals to a solitary point. In that first half the men in blue and white scored 5 points but their half time lead of 4 points could have been a lot more but for kicking 8 wides during that period. Tinryland who were never headed at any stage opened the scoring in the 4th minute when Glen Doyle operating at wing forward slotted over a point which was followed 2 minutes later by one from his brother Evan. By the 8th minute Tinryland were 3 points clear following another point from Garry Morrissey who worked his socks off for the entire match. Rathvilly opened their account in the 9th minute when Garry Dempsey scored a point but another Glen Doyle beauty put 3 points between the sides once again after 10 minutes. Tinryland were then dealt their first injury blow when Cian Moore who was doing well at midfield had to retire with a hamstring injury and he was replaced by Ian Scully with Glen Doyle having to move to midfield. Tinryland continued to carry the game to Rathvilly but we were dealt another blow in the 23rd minute when centre forward Padraig Townsend received a hip injury and he was replaced by Paul Doyle. There was only one further score when Paul Broderick slotted over a brilliant point in the 23rd minute to leave the score 5 point to 1 at half time.

When the second half began Rathvilly looked a transformed team in the early stages with Co player Danny Molloy adding potency to their attack and by the 2nd minute of the half Rathvilly had scored 3 super quick points to leave the minimum margin between the teams. Memories of the Old Leighlin game came flooding back to many Tinryland supporters but our hearts were lifted by the 35th minute after a superb point from Cormac Walsh from the Oak Park side line that was similar to the great point scored for Kerry by Maurice Fitzgerald in Semple stadium back in the nineties. Rathvilly continued to apply pressure to the Tinryland defence with Brendan Murphy slotting over a point in the 40th minute but a purple patch for Tinryland began seconds later when Ian Scully scored a fantastic point which was quickly followed by 2 Paul Broderick points to leave the score 0-9 to 0-5 with 17 minutes remaining. When Ian Scully scored another beauty in the 45th minute Tinryland supporters began to dream of a Co final spot but we were quickly rocked back to reality by another surge of Rathvilly dominance that yielded a pair of points from Danny Molloy and Garry Dempsey. With 6 minutes remaining Keith Jackson who was soon to retire injured slotted over a point which steadied the ship but the last 5 minutes saw Rathvilly apply another period of pressure that yielded 3 points to leave only one between the sides. Tinryland fans could barely watch as Rathvilly went in search of the equaliser but after 4 minutes of stoppage time referee John Hickey finally sounded the long whistle much to the relief of the fans who gave our heros a much deserved round of applause as they left the field. Tinryland will now face the winners of Old Leighlin and Eire Og  in the final on Sunday 16th October and hopes are high of Tinryland lifting the Conlon Cup for the first time since 1981. There was a great buzz in the clubhouse afterwards as the team and fans watched the match on the big screen thanks to the efforts of the Townsend brothers and commentator Liam Lawlor. Keith Jacksons injury is the big concern now and it is hoped that the 3 week gap to the final will allow himself, Cian Moore and Padraig Townsend time to recover. All the players gave their utmost with goalie Trevor O’Reilly and the entire defence of J P Moore, Conor Byrne, Jeff Sutton, Danny Moran, Shane Redmond and Niall Barrett mopping up everything Rathvilly threw at them especially in the first half. Cian Moore until injured, Keith Jackson, Padraig Townsend, Glen and Evan Doyle, Ian Scully, Garry Morrissey, Paul Broderick, Peter Doran and fellow sub Paul Doyle were outstanding also. Roll on October 16th.