Match Reports‎ > ‎

Senior teams league qualification now hinges on final game with O’Hanrahans

posted 11 Jun 2013, 08:00 by   [ updated 11 Jun 2013, 08:02 ]
By Eamonn Byrne

Tinryland senior footballers hopes of qualifying for the knockout stages of the S.F.L

Division 1 now hinge on the result of the final game of the league on Friday next against O’Hanrahans after a surprising one point loss to Kilbride in Rathcrogue on Monday 10th June. The shape of this game was determined in the opening 10 minutes when Kilbride with the advantage of a significant breeze raced into a 5 point lead. It could have been worse for Tinryland only for a brilliant save from Darren Murphy in the 4th minute when he deflected a net bound shot over the bar. Players like Stephen Curry, Darragh Foley, Mitch Kelly, Seamus Gray and Joe Waters all contributed to the Kilbride tally before Tinryland replied in the 10th minute with an excellent goal from midfielder Shane Redmond following good interplay involving Cormac Walshe and Matthew O’Toole. This score did not faze the Kilbride men however and further points from Darragh Foley and Michael Browne extended their advantage before Cathal O’Toole pointed for Tinryland. Four minutes before the break Kilbride struck a mortal blow into Tinryland’s hopes when Stephen Curry rattled the net to put his side 7 points clear. Tinryland finally

began to awake from their slumbers and an Eddie Dowling point was followed by an excellent Cathal O’Toole point following a good build up involving Jack Lowry, Paul Doyle Shane Redmond and Jeff Sutton. Half time score Kilbride 1-8 Tinryland 1-3

Within a minute of the restart a good move involving John Paul Moore operating at centre forward, Jack Lowry and Paul Doyle resulted in another Cathal O’Toole point and 2 minutes later Cormac Walshe reduced the margin to 3 points following a short free from Ian Scully. At the other end Co midfielder Darragh Foley showed his accuracy from dead balls in the 35th minute when he converted a free to leave Kilbride leading by 1-9 to 1-5 with 25 minutes remaining. Amazingly this score was to prove Kilbride’s last for a full 20 minutes as Tinryland set about making inroads into their lead. A great Cathal O’Toole point in the 41st minute following good work from Jeff Sutton was followed 60 seconds later by a brilliant Cormac Walshe score following an excellent pass from Ian Scully. Tinryland continued to attack in search of another score but with almost all their team back in defence Kilbride contained the home side and eventually broke the deadlock in the 55th minute when their full forward John Farrell slotted over a long range point to put the Slaneysiders 3 points ahead once again. With the play becoming increasingly physical Ian Scully was dismissed on a second yellow card from referee Paud O’Dwyer.

The margin was reduced to 2 points when Jeff Sutton pointed in the 59th minute and only the minimum separated the sides when sub Diarmaid Walshe pointed early in stoppage time. Alas time ran out for Tinryland and Kilbride triumphed by the minimum margin ona final score Kilbride 1-10 Tinryland 1-9. Tinryland’s interest in the knockout stages now depend on the result against O’Hanrahans at home at 8 p.m. on this coming Friday 14th June. A win or a draw should see us across the line. A loss will leave us vulnerable to the Eire Og/ Palatine match next Sunday evening where an Eire Og win would see the town team leapfrog us for the 4th qualifying spot.

Tinryland: Darren Murphy, Eddie Dowling 0-1, Mark Dempsey, Niall Barrett, John Dwyer, Glen Doyle, Jack Lowry, Cormac Walshe 0-2, Shane Redmond 1-0, Matthew O’Toole, John Paul Moore, Paul Doyle, Jeff Sutton 0-1, Ian Scully, Cathal O’Toole 0-4.

Subs Diarmaid Walshe 0-1, Padraig Delaney