Match Reports‎ > ‎

Rathvilly prove too strong for Tinryland in S.F.L. Division 1

posted 20 Apr 2015, 02:12 by
By Eamonn Byrne
 Carlow S.F. champions Rathvilly proved to be too strong for a disappointing Tinryland in the 4th round of the Carlow S.F.L. division 1 played in Rathcrogue on Sunday 19th April.

Very little went right for the home side in this game with the boys in blue and white playing their best football in the opening half. Rathvilly got off to a great start with a point from their best forward Garry Dempsey in the 3rd minute and it got even better for the Wicklow border side sixty seconds later when centre forward Danny Molloy crashed the ball past Trevor O’Reilly in the Tinryland goal. In fairness to Tinryland they were competitive at this stage and Matthew O’Toole opened the scoring in the 6th minute with a point following good play by Padraig Townsend and Richard Whyte. Whyte then had a clear cut goal chance moments later but the ball rebounded before Diarmaid Walshe doubled the Tinryland tally with a well taken point. Rathvilly who were dominating around the middle at this stage quickly tagged on 3 unanswered points from mid-fielder Brian Murphy (2) and full forward Alan Kelly before Diarmaid Walshe pulled two back for the home team following good work by Mark Lawlor and Conor O’Toole.The game was still competitive at this stage and Brendan Murphys long range point for Rathvilly was matched by a 40 metre free from Glen Doyle for a foul on himself. Another Brendan Murphy point in the 17th minute was followed by a great point from Richard Whyte to leave the scoreboard reading 1-6 to 0-6 in Rathvilly’s favour.

Rathvilly then extended the lead with a Garry Dempsey special in the 19th minute as Tinryland kicked two successive wides. The closing act of the opening half was a Glen Doyle point from a free as Richard Whyte logged up Tinryland’s 7th wide of the half. Half time score Rathvilly 1-7 Tinryland 0-7.

When referee John Hickey restarted proceedings Rathvilly were quickly off the mark scoring points in the 32nd and 34th minutes via Garry Dempsey after a foul on Brian Smith and from full forward Alan Kelly. Andrew Hanley then replaced Cathal O’Toole for Tinryland as Co. player Kelly raised another white flag for the Conlon cup holders. Evan Doyle and minor player Niall Lowry were then introduced into the fray for Richard Whyte and Cian Lawlor but it was that man Dempsey again that extended the Rathvilly lead with another great point to put 7 points separating the sides at the three quarter stage. The game was then finished as a contest when Rathvilly sub Dermot Cronin found the Tinryland net with 13 minutes remaining before Cormac Walshe pulled a point back for Tinryland. Another Cormac Walshe point in the 50th minute was followed by Rathvilly’s 3rd goal from Conor Owens as Adam Dunne enter the match for Tinryland replacing Matthew O’Toole. Despite their large advantage Rathvilly never took their foot off the pedal and Garry Dempsey capped a man of the match performance by scoring their 4th goal with 7 minutes remaining. The game ended with a consolation point from Cormac Walshe following a pass from Andrew Hanley to leave the final score Rathvilly 4-11 Tinryland 0-10. Tinryland seniors will be back in action on Sunday 26th April away to Mount Leinster Rangers at 7 p.m. in Borris.

Team: Trevor O’Reilly, Shane Webb, John Paul Moore, Conor O’Toole, Danny Moran, Mark Dempsey, Cian Lawlor, Glen Doyle 0-2, Cormac Walshe 0-3, Matthew O’Toole 0-1, Padraig Townsend, mark Lawlor, Diarmaid Walshe 0-3, Richard Whyte 0-1, Cathal O’Toole. Subs Andrew Hanley, Niall Lowry, Evan Doyle, Adam Dunne.