Match Reports‎ > ‎

Palatine progress to quarter final of J.F.C. (C) with a six point victory over Tinryland

posted 12 Aug 2015, 14:23 by

By Eamonn Byrne

Palatine’s 3rd team got the better of Tinryland’s 3rd outfit in a very entertaining J.F.C. (C) preliminary round replay at Netwatch Cullen Park on Tuesday 11th August.

Despite scoring the opening point via Conall O’Se after only 30 seconds the men in blue and white found themselves six points down by the 7th minute as the young and fast moving Pal team scored 1-4 without reply in a 4 minute spell. The Pal.goal was scored by centre back Conor O’Doherty with Sean Dermody (2), Conor Crowley and David Murphy also chipping in with points in that productive spell. Tinryland who included 8 minors in the starting 15 rallied mid-way through the opening half with points from midfielder Peter Hennessy, Mick Delaney and Eoin Fields. Taking heart from a bad miss by Palatine at the other end further well taken points from Mick Delaney, Eoin Fields and John Murphy reduced the margin to 2 points before the Cnoc Arda wing back Paul Harland put 3 points between the sides once again four minutes before the break. Another beauty from John Murphy gave Tinryland supporters hope but we were then dealt a blow when a penalty was awarded at the other end for a foot block which was hotly disputed. The referee stuck to his guns however and Conor Crowly calmly stroked the penalty past Colm Nolan to leave the half time scoreboard reading Palatine 2-6 Tinryland 0-7.

When the second half began Tinryland had introduced top sprinter Adam Murphy and minor player Dean Dunne into the fray and in similar fashion to the drawn game Tinryland started well. After a Pal.point by mid-fielder Darragh Fitzpatrick Tinryland produced the best move of the match with Adam Murphy and Mick Delaney linking well with Conall Dunne who rattled the net at the Dublin end with a brilliant goal to reduce the margin to a goal. Another superb John Murphy point in the 33rd minute gave Tinryland further hope but in similar fashion to the 1st half Palatine reeled off 5 unanswered points from Conor Crowley, Conor Reynolds, Cian Fitzpatrick, Niall Cawley and Sean Dermody to extend their lead to 7 points mid-way through the 2nd half. Two well taken Peter Hennessy frees narrowed the margin to 5 points but we were then dealt another blow when a Pal. attempt for a point rebounded off the upright and the Pal.forward was alert and had little difficulty raising a green flag to extend their lead to 8 points with 10 minutes remaining. Tinryland did not lie down however and within seconds at the other end Conall O’Se put the ball in the net after good play by half time sub. Dean Dunne. Goals were coming fast at this stage and Palatine scored their 4th in the 56th minute when mid-fielder Darragh Fitzpatrick raced through the Tinryland defence to leave 8 points separating the sides. The final two scores of the game were points for Tinryland by Conall O’Se and when referee Brian Deering sounded the full time whistle Palatine had progressed to meet Ballon on a final scoreline of 4-12 to 2-12.

Tinryland had outstanding players in goalkeeper Colm Nolan, Killian Maher, John Murphy, Peter Hennessy, Conall O’Se and subs Adam Murphy and Dean Dunne.

Tinryland: Colm Nolan, Conor Ryan, Adam Dunne, Killian Maher, Fionnan Burke, Cathal Gaffney, Rory Doyle, John Murphy 0-3, Peter Hennessy 0-3, Cathal Whelan, Alan Kirwan, Eoin Fields 0-1, Conall Dunne 1-0, Conall O’Se 1-3, Mick Delaney. Subs Dean Dunne, Adam Murphy, Niall Scully.

Palatine: Evan Gordon, Jimmy Fitzpatrick, James Kehoe, Jamie Purcell, Paul Harland, Conor O’Doherty, Mark Cullen, Darragh Fitzpatrick, Sean Dermody, Niall Cawley, Conor Crowley, Cian Fitzpatrick, David Murphy, Conor Reynolds, Eddie McGarry. Subs: Brian Rowan, Mick Bolger, Alan Hosey, Stanislav Jolondcovschi, Paud O’Dwyer.