Match Reports‎ > ‎

Junior team maintain J.F.C. (A) status after gritty win over Rathvilly in Bennekerry

posted 15 Oct 2017, 11:28 by

By Eamonn Byrne

The season ended at adult level in Bennekerry on Saturday evening 14th October when the Junior (A) team maintained their status in the top junior division with a 7 point win over Rathvilly. The losers of this relegation battle faced demotion to the Junior (B) ranks and a close battle was anticipated by both sets of supporters who bothered to turn up at the Palatine grounds which was in pristine condition.

On a balmy evening on an excellent pitch Tinryland were first on the scoresheet when corner forward Cathal Whelan pointed after good play from Dean Farrell and Keelan Gaffney.

Rathvilly opened their account in the 5th minute with a point from midfielder Gary Owens and the Wicklow border side took the lead in the 9th minute when corner forward David Nolan raised a white flag. Tinryland then began to settle down and the hard working David Townsend levelled matters after 11 minutes when he raised a white flag. Rathvilly then enjoyed a mini purple patch and they edged 2 points clear in a low scoring second quarter with points in the 17th minute from full forward Dominic Byrne and another after 28 minutes from centre forward Jake Elliott. These scores seemed to spur Tinryland into action and a wonderful Keelan Gaffney goal in the 29th minute after good play from Conor Ryan, and David Townsend edged the blue and white hoops into a lead they never relinquished. Mark Dempsey ended the half on a positive noted when he sent over another point in the 30th minute following excellent approach play by himself, Michael Dobosz and Keelan Gaffney. Half time score Tinryland 1-5 Rathvilly 0-4

The second half was only 30 seconds old when Keelan Gaffney stretched the Tinryland lead to 3 points and within another 30 seconds Mark Morrissey who is on a break from the amateur golf circuit scored an excellent point. It took a brilliant save in the 33rd minute from Rathvilly goalkeeper Darragh Donnelly to deny Tinryland veteran Niall Barrett a goal after brilliant approach play by the men from Rathcrogue. Tinryland were in control now and despite kicking 4 more wides in this period of play they had stretched into an 8 point advantage by the 42nd minute following a Dean Farrell superb point and a brilliantly executed goal by Barrett following more good work By Mark Morrissey.

Rathvilly’s response to the Niall Barrett goal was swift and within 60 seconds the ball was in the Tinryland net after an unstoppable shot from full forward Dominic Byrne. Only 5 points now separated the sides and further Rathvilly pressure yielded another point from centre forward Jake Elliott which left 4 points between the teams entering the final quarter. Tinryland then opened up the Rathvilly defence after breaking from the back and Michael Dobosz showed his skill with his sides 3rd goal to give the men in blue and white some breathing space entering the closing stages.

Despite sustained Rathvilly pressure the Tinryland defence held firm in those closing minutes and their final score was a Gary Owens point with 10 minute remaining. Tinryland closed their account in the 51st minute with another Dean Farrell point and with the eventual winners shutting up the shop no further score was registered before referee Richard Sutton sounded the full time whistle.

Final score Tinryland 3-7 Rathvilly 1-6.

Tinryland: Ciaran Byrne, Liam Fitzpatrick, Conor Ryan, Joey Ryan, Ciaran Townsend, Shane O’Neill, Padraic Whelan, Mark Morrissey 0-1, Keelan Gaffney 1-1, Michael Dobosz 1-0, Mark Dempsey 0-1, Dean Farrell 0-2, Cathal Whelan 0-1, Niall Barrett 1-0, David Townsend 0-1. Subs: Paul Doyle, Gregg Murphy, Eoghan Hosey.

Rathvilly: Darragh Donnelly, Jeff Werth, Wesley Faulkner, Dylan Connors, Jamie Byrne, Kevin McCall, Shane Byrne, Laurence Farrell, Gary Owens, Ryan Sibbald, Jake Elliott, Liam Kelly, Philip Deane, Dominic Byrne, David Nolan.