Match Reports‎ > ‎

Great second half lands Co. Title for Tinryland thirds

posted 25 Sep 2016, 01:43 by

By Eamonn Byrne

Tinryland landed the Carlow J.F.C. (C) title under the Netwatch Cullen park floodlights with a dramatic second half comeback against fancied Ballon on Friday 23rd September. Prior to this the game seemed to be slipping away from the men in blue and white on a number of occasions with the Ballon men holding 4 and 6 point advantages either side of half time.

Tinryland found themselves trailing by 3 points after 9 minutes following 2 points from frees by Ballon centre forward James Doyle and a well struck point from former O’Hanrahans player Paul Lyons in the 4th minute. The Tinryland account was opened in the 10th minute by birthday boy Brian “Beano” Mullen who slotted over the opening point after good play by John Whyte, Paddy Byrne and David O’Shea. Ballon responded with points from their lively full forward Dessie Nolan and another successful free from James Doyle to edge 4 points ahead by the 15th minute.

A slick move involving Adam Mullen, Barry Power, veteran P.J.Murphy and John Whyte resulted in a great Dean Farrell point in the 16th minute before Ballon edged 4 points ahead once again when wing forward John Murphy raised a white flag at the Canary end. More good play by P.J.Murphy, David O’Shea, Paddy Byrne and team captain John Whyte ended with another “Beano” Mullen point before Dessie Nolan restored the Ballon 4 point advantage. The men in white and red extended their lead in the 26th minute with another Dessie Nolan point as Tinryland made their first substitution introducing Fergal Kelly into defensive duty. Tinryland who were facing the rising wind then struck for a crucial score when David “Dotsy” O’Shea crashed the ball past Ballon goalkeeper Jack Ryan shortly before Eire Og referee Enda Hulton sounded the half time whistle. Half time score Ballon 0-8 Tinryland 1-3.

With the strengthening wind now in their favour Tinryland were in confident mood heading in to the 2nd half but it was Ballon who stretched further ahead with another successful free from centre forward James Doyle. Michael Dobosz who had entered the fray at half time then made an instant impact when he scored a wonderful point in the 32nd minute but Tinryland joy was short lived as James Doyle somehow found space to out run the Tinryland defence and Michael Delaney had no chance of saving Ballons only goal. When Doyle successfully converted his 6th free in the 35th minute it looked curtains for Tinryland but remarkably this proved to be Ballons last score of the match as Tinryland with the aid of fresh legs from the bench gradually took over in all sectors. Michael Mullen who had just come on as a sub made an instant contribution when he slotted over a free in the 38th minute and after David O’Shea had a goal denied by the post Muzzy reduced the defecit to 4 points with 17 minutes remaining. It was all Tinryland now and as the game entered the final quarter Tinryland were awarded a penalty. Michael Mullen struck the penalty well but Ballon goalie Jack Ryan somehow got his boot to it and the danger was temporarily averted from a Ballon viewpoint.

Fergal Kelly, Seamus Curran and P.J. Murphy who has made more comebacks than Lazarus then set up Michael Mullen for another wonderful point and suddenly Tinryland scented victory as the recently introduced Cathal Whelan narrowed the margin to 2 points with 9 minutes remaining. As Ballon legs began to wobble Tinryland went for the jugular and were rewarded by a wonderful goal by sub Jason Curran who had been introduced early in the 2nd half. Tinryland were now ahead for the first time and at the right time and the icing was applied when Michael Dobosz capped a wonderful performance with a brilliant point to edge Tinryland 2 points ahead. In what seemed an eternity for Tinryland fans the game finally ended with Tinryland winning the title by 2-9 to 1-10.   Tinryland captain John Whyte was then presented with the cup by Tinryland’s own Cormac O’Toole the current treasurer of Carlow Co. Board.

All 20 players were heroes on Friday and the celebrations afterwards added to Brian Mullens 21st birthday party resulted in a great night of celebration in the club.

Tinryland: Michael Delaney, Alan Byrne, Joey Ryan, Paddy Byrne, P.J.Murphy, John Whyte captain, Seamus Curran, Adam Mullen, Alan Kirwan, Dean Farrell 0-1, David O’Shea 1-0, Gary Scully, Eoin Fields, Barry Power, Brian Mullen 0-2. Subs: Fergal Kelly, Michael Dobosz 0-2, Jason Curran 1-0, Michael Mullen 0-3, Cathal Whelan 0-1.