Match Reports‎ > ‎

Eire Og advance to S.F.L. Division 3 final with 4 point win over Tinryland

posted 27 May 2016, 11:02 by

 By Eamonn Byrne


Eire Og overcame the handicap of being down to 14 players for two thirds of this game to advance to the division 3 final against Tinryland at the training centre in Fenagh on Thursday 26th May.

The difference between the sides was the ability of the Eire Og forwards to find the target more easily than the Tinryland men who had every chance to win this game after the town team lost wing forward Corey Harmon to a straight red in the 20th minute.

Tinryland opened the scoring in the 5th minute when wing back Cathal Gaffney pointed after good play by Shane Redmond who was making a rare appearance at this level to further his comeback after injury. Mark Kelly opened the Y.I. account 30 seconds later after good play by Tommy Dowling and by the 10th minute the winners had pulled 3 clear following points by Corey Harmon (2) and centre back Cathal Kelly. Peter Hennessy then landed a brilliant 50 metre free in the 13th minute and 3 minutes later the margin was reduced to the minimum when Peter repeated the dose in identical fashion. Eire Og were then dealt a blow when Corey Harmon received a straight red card from referee David Hickey for an illegal challenge on Ciaran Townsend but the handicap did not immediately affect the townsmen as they added further points before the break via Mark Corcoran and midfielder Paul Mc Elligott. Half time score Eire Og 0-6 Tinryland 0-3.

When play resumed Tinryland set about making their numerical advantage work and the hoops were immediately on the scoreboard when Cathal Gaffney slotted over a point following good play by David Townsend. Tinryland introduced Padraig Delaney into the action with Eire Og sending on Cian Clancy. In the 39th minute Cathal Gaffney scored another beauty from the half back position following good play by David Townsend and Ciaran Townsend. Mark Kelly extended the Eire Og lead back out to 2 points in the 42nd minute before Tinryland upped the ante in an effort to get on terms. Superb defensive play by Eire Og kept Tinryland at bay until the 53rd minute when Padraig Delaney finally found the net after good work by Shane O’Neill and Alan Barrett. It looked at this stage that Tinryland would increase their one point lead and they had a few chances to do so before Eire Og broke down the field to gain the equaliser via sub Ross Dunphy who had replaced Dean Hayden in the Y.I. attack. Tinryland had one more chance to regain the advantage but Alan Barrett was unable to convert a close in free and sensing that all was not lost Eire Og went back ahead with a point from Reece Denieffe.  It looked that it was Eire Og that had the numerical advantage at this stage and Denieffe became the hero of the hour when he capitalized on a defensive error by Tinryland to crash the ball pass stand in keeper Niall Barrett with 4 minutes remaining. Denieffe applied the icing to the Eire Og cake when he extended their lead to 5 points in the 57th minute while Tinryland scored a consolation point near the end via Alan Barrett who was the only Tinryland forward to score a point during the game. Final score Eire Og 1-10 Tinryland 1-6. 

Eire Og: Craig White, Sean Wogan, Shane Kelly, Lee Moore, Evan Kelly, Cathal Kelly, Eoin Maddock, Paul McElligott 0-1, James Ruth, Tommy Dowling, Mark Kelly 0-3, Corey Harmon 0-2 1f, Mark Corcoran 0-1, Dean Hayden, Reece Denieffe 1-2. Subs Cian Clancy, Ross Dunphy 0-1, Joey Curtis.

Tinryland: Niall Barrett, Liam Fitzpatrick, John Murphy, peter Doran, Cathal Gaffney 0-3, John Paul Moore, Adam Dunne, Peter Hennessy 0-2 F, Shane Redmond, Alan Barrett 0-1, Gregg Murphy, David Townsend, Shane O’Neill, Ciaran Townsend, Rory Doyle. Sub Padraig Delaney 1-0.