Match Reports‎ > ‎

Disappointing start to championship campaign for Tinryland senior footballers

posted 29 Jul 2013, 10:46 by

By Eamonn Byrne


There was disappointment for Tinryland in the opening game of this years Carlow S.F.C. at Dr. Cullen park on Sunday 28th July when Old Leighlin the 2011 Co.champions comfortably triumphed having dominated from start to finish.

Tinryland never got going in this game and in a desperate first half failed to score until 6 minutes before half time when Ian Scully pointed a free after a foul on Glen Doyle. By that stage Old Leighlin had built up an eight point advantage following early points from Michael Meaney, Willie Minchin and David Dowling together with a Seamus Kinsella goal after 13 minutes which determined the pattern of the game. Tinryland did have goal chances also with James Clarke making a great save from Glen Doyle in the 2nd minute and Clarke again came to his sides rescue in the 25th minute when Ian Scully looked like scoring a goal. Old Leighlin tagged on 2 further points before the interval to leave the half time score Old Leighlin 1-5 Tinryland 0-1.

When the 2nd half began Paul Broderick was introduced for Cathal O’Toole with Shane Webb already having been introduced for Niall Barrett at the end of the first half.

Broderick did not take long to make an impact and he converted after one minute before Old Leighlin replied with another successful free from Seamus Kinsella. It could have got worse for Tinryland at this stage but Trevor O’Reilly came to Tinryland’s rescue with a great save which eventually went over for a point scored by Willie Minchin to leave 8 points between the sides at this stage. Tinryland still had not scored from play at this point and Seamus Kinsella stretched the Old Leighlin advantage when he converted another free in the 39thminute which was matched by a Glen Doyle point from a free after 44minutes. Recently introduced Jeff Sutton had a gilt edged goal chance for Tinryland at this stage but the ball amazingly stayed out of the Old Leighlin net. Paul Broderick finally got Tinryland off the mark from open play when he pointed in the 46th minute a feat he repeated 2 minutes later following good play by Shane Redmond.It could then have been curtains for Tinryland in the 52nd minute but Trevor O’Reilly’s save

Gave us some glimmer of hope. When Glen Doyle hit the post from a free it looked that it was not Tinryland’s evening and despite further points from Ian Scully and Matthew O’Toole with 3 minutes remaining it was the Old Leighlin men who had the final say with Pat Hickeys point on the stroke of full time leaving the final score Old Leighlin 1-10 Tinryland 0-7.

To say that there is room for improvement would be an understatement and the team will now have to knuckle down for the remaining 4 group game beginning on Saturday next at 6.30 p.m. in Dr Cullen park against O’Hanrahans. After a break of 3 weeks Tinryland will then face successive games with Naomh Eoin and Eire Go at the end of August and the final group game will be against Mount Leinster Rangers in mid September.


Team: Trevor O’Reilly, Niall Barrett, Mark Dempsey, John Paul Moore, Danny Moran, Cian Moore, Shane O’Neill, Shane Redmond, John Dwyer, Matthew O’Toole 0-1, Glen Doyle 0-1, Garry Morrissey, Diarmaid Walshe, Ian Scully 0-2, Cathal O’Toole. Subs Shane Webb, Paul Broderick 0-3, Jeff Sutton.