Match Reports‎ > ‎

Concession of five goals proves too much for Tinryland in J.F.C. (B) Final

posted 26 Oct 2015, 06:13 by

By Eamonn Byrne

Goals win matches and this fact was proved at Netwatch Cullen Park on Saturday 24th October when Tinryland juniors conceded 5 majors to Eire Og in the Carlow J.F.C. (B) final. This was a game Tinryland could have and should have won particularly after holding a 7 point advantage after 42 minutes had been played. The men in blue and white got off to a good start in this game with Gary Fields opening the Tinryland account with a well taken point in the 4th minute following good play by Padraig Delaney and David Townsend. The Tinryland defence also looked solid at this stage as the Tinryland tally doubled with a Padraig Whelan point following good play by Conal Dunne. The signs of things to come were then shown as Eire Og’s former senior player Shane Myers unlocked the Tinryland defence to score his team’s first major in the 9th minute.

A superb run from Tinryland defender Adam Dunne saw him linking well with David Townsend before  taking the return pass and crashing the ball to the YI net to restore the Tinryland lead by the 12th minute. Tinryland defender Peter Doran who was steady throughout then hand passed the ball over the bar to increase the lead to 3 points. This advantage was short lived however as James Ryan levelled matters once again when he flicked a Ross Dunphy delivery to the Tinryland net at the half way stage of the opening half. Padraig Whelan restored the Tinryland lead with a successful free in the 17th minute and when the same player set up Padraig Delaney for another Tinryland point in the 18th minute prospects looked promising once again for a Tinryland win.

A 13 minute scoreless spell then followed before Tinryland scored their second goal via David Townsend following good play by Gregg Murphy and Gary Fields. This left the half time scoreboard reading Tinryland 2-5 Eire Og 2-0.

When Ballon referee Billy Fanning restarted proceedings Eire Og introduced substitutes James Brennan and Sam Dunne into the action as Tinryland also brought on Cathal Gaffney after 4 minutes of the second half. Eire Og were first to register a second half score when James Ryan slotted over a point in the 35th minute. Three minutes later Tinryland went seven points clear after a great goal from Owan O’Gorman following good play by Padraig Whelan and Garry Fields. Tinryland supporters must have felt that the title was destined for Rathcrogue at this stage and the 7 point lead was still intact by the 42nd minute when poor defending resulted in Shane Myers scoring his second goal to reduce the lead to 4 points. Three minutes later with Eire Og tails up Ross Dunphy left the minimum separating the sides when he crashed the ball to the Tinryland net and the sides were all square in the 50th minute when Andy Byrne levelled matters with a point. It was all Eire Og now and Byrne put his side 3 points clear in the 51st minute with another goal before Peter Hennessy converted a 45 metre free for Tinryland. Eire Og who had the scent of victory at this stage continued to press and they added on a further 3 points in the closing stages via Byrne, James Ryan and Ross Dunphy as the Tinryland challenge completely evaporated despite a final point from Peter Hennessy deep in stoppage time. Final score Eire Og 5-5 Tinryland 3-7.

Team: Ciaran Byrne, Adam Dunne 1-0, John Murphy, Sean Kirwan, Padraig Townsend, Peter Doran 0-1, Rory Doyle, Peter Hennessy 0-2, Gregg Murphy, Gary Fields 0-1, Padraig Delaney 0-1, Conal Dunne, Padraic Whelan 0-2, Owan O’Gorman 1-0, David Townsend 1-0. Subs: Cathal Gaffney, Killian Maher, Dean Farrell, Adam Murphy.