Match Reports‎ > ‎

Co. Champions Palatine prove too hot to handle for disappointing Tinryland in S.F.C.

posted 23 Aug 2016, 11:06 by

By Eamonn Byrne

Tinryland seniors found Co. champions Palatine too hot to handle in round 2 of the Michael Lyng Motors S.F.C. at Netwatch Cullen Park on Sunday 21st August. The winners were always in control in this game and were 7 points ahead within 10 minutes of the throw in following a succession of points from corner forward Shane O’Neill and a John Reid flicked goal following a long delivery from Pal centre back Christopher Crowley. Tinryland’s only score during this period was a Cormac Walshe point following good play by Matthew O’Toole, and Niall Lowry. In a very flat performance this score was the only one from play by a forward from the starting 15 in the entire game. As the game progressed Palatine continued to dominate in most sectors and their second goal duly arrived in the 14th minute when Jamie Kenny crashed the ball past Trevor O’Reilly. After an eighteen minute scoreless period for the men in blue and white Diarmaid Walshe converted a free in the 21st minute after a foul on Glen Doyle. Centre back Cathal Gaffney then moved forward to register a 3rd point for Tinryland to reduce the margin to 8 points in the 25th minute. Palatine then virtually wrapped up the points when Trevor was forced to bring down Kenny in the small square and he received a black card for his troubles. When sub goalie Ciaran Byrne stepped between the posts he could do nothing about the well struck Tomas Kenny penalty which extended the Pal lead to eleven points by the 27th minute.  The closing stages of the half saw the introduction of Tinryland subs Cathal O’Toole and Shane Webb and the latter played a part in Tinryland’s last point of the half scored by corner back Danny Moran deep in first half stoppage time. Half time score Palatine 3-6 Tinryland 0-4.   

When the 2nd half began Tinryland immediately showed a little more urgency and were rewarded with another Diarmaid Walshe pointed free within 60 seconds after a foul on Paul Broderick. Palatine replied with a point from Shane O’Neill and were dealt a blow seconds later when John Reid received a straight red card from referee David Hughes for an off the ball incident. The numerical disadvantage made little difference however and they maintained their eleven point advantage after goalkeeper Craig Kearney converted a 45 which cancelled out a Diarmaid Walshe successful conversion minutes earlier. Palatine continued to dominate in all sectors and they extended the advantage to 12 points mid- way through the half when recently introduced former Tinryland player Stephen O’Reilly pointed. Another Pal point with 6 minutes remaining from Jason Kane extended the Cnoc Arda advantage to 13 points as the game fizzled out to its inevitable conclusion.With Keith Jackson now introduced into the action Tinryland did manage a succession of consolation points from Diarmaid Walshe (free), Niall Lowry (2) and sub Mark Lawlor before replacement goalkeeper Ciaran Byrne saved Tinryland from a bigger defeat when he made a great save from Pal sub Brian Kelly.

Final score Palatine 3-10 Tinryland 0-10.

Tinryland: Trevor O’Reilly, Danny Moran 0-1, Shane Redmond, Rory Doyle, Conor McGrath, Cathal Gaffney 0-1, Niall Lowry 0-2, Glen Doyle, Peter Hennessy, Matthew O’Toole, Mark Dempsey, Conor O’Toole, Diarmaid Walshe 0-4F, Paul Broderick, Cormac Walshe 0-1. Subs: Ciaran Byrne, Shane Webb, Cathal O’Toole, Cian Moore, Mark Lawlor 0-1, Keith Jackson.