Match Reports‎ > ‎

3rd Consecutive loss for Tinryland seniors in S.F.L. Div 1

posted 18 Apr 2016, 11:36 by

          By Eamonn Byrne        

Tinryland senior footballers suffered their 3rd consecutive defeat in the S.F.L. Div 1 when they were forced to play second fiddle to a determined Rathvilly in Fr. Ryan Park on Sunday 17th April.

The home side who bossed this game throughout were 2 points up within 3 minutes of the throw in after opening scores from Garry Dempsey and Ed Finnegan. Diarmaid Walshe opened the Tinryland account with a lovely point in the 4th minute after good play by Matthew O’Toole and Shane Redmond. Rathvilly dominated the next 6 minute spell scoring a hat trick of points from Jim Bob Leonard, and the Murphy brothers Brian and Brendan. Tinryland looked to have weathered the storm when they enjoyed their most productive spell between the 10th and 15 minutes with 3 points from Richard Whyte, Diarmaid Walshe and a wonderful Matthew O’Toole effort after good play by Peter Hennessy and Ciaran Larkin.

Rathvilly who included most of their big guns in this game upped the ante and from the 15th minute to half time they added on a goal and 4 points to their tally with Garry Dempseys goal in the 25th minute the product of fast forward play when they cut the Tinryland defence to shreds.

Paul Broderick who had entered the fray for Mark Lawlor after 10 minutes closed the 1st half scoring with an excellent point in the 28th minute which left the scoreboard reading Rathvilly 1-9 Tinryland 0-5.

Glen Doyle was introduced for the injured Danny Moran at the break and Tinryland began the second half on a positive note with a Peter Hennessy point after good work by Shane Redmond, Diarmaid Walshe and Paul Broderick. There was no let up in the Rathvilly play however and over the next 10 minutes they added on 5 further points via the excellent Garry Dempsey (4) and Diarmaid Cronin and were unlucky to be denied another goal when the post saved Tinryland. During this spell Tinryland could only manage a solitary point from Niall Lowry who had replaced Cathal O’Toole near the end of the first half. With 12 minutes remaining Mark Dempsey was forced to leave the field after a strong challenge from Brendan Murphy and during this spell also Conor O’Toole received a black card to be replaced by Ciaran Townsend. John Paul Moore was introduced for Mark Dempsey as the home side added on two further points from Alan Kelly and Garry Dempsey (free). All Tinryland could show for their efforts before the finish were 2 Paul Broderick conversions from frees but the away side could have had a goal with 3 minutes remaining only for a brilliant save from Rathvilly goalkeeper Robert Molloy while at the other end Rathvilly missed a gilt edged goal chance.

Tinryland seniors are back in league action on Monday 25th April at 8 p.m. when Mount Leinster Rangers will visit Rathcrogue. Final score Rathvilly 1-18 Tinryland 0-9

Tinryland: Ciaran Byrne, Danny Moran, Mark Dempsey, Conor Byrne, Conor O’Toole, Cathal Gaffney, Conor McGrath, Peter Hennessy 0-1, Shane Redmond, Cathal O’Toole, Matthew O’Toole 0-1, Mark Lawlor, Diarmaid Walshe 0-2, Richard Whyte 0-1, Ciaran Larkin. Subs Paul Broderick 0-3, Niall Lowry 0-1, Glenn Doyle, John Paul Moore, Ciaran Townsend. 

Rathvilly: Robert Molloy, Jeff Werth, Tony Bolger, Jeffrey O’Donoghue, Colin Byrne, Jim Bob Leonard 0-1, Paul Curran, Brendan Murphy 0-2, Brian Murphy 0-2, Alan Kelly 0-2, Danny Molloy, Ed Finnegan 0-1 , Diarmuid Cronin 0-2, Garry Dempsey 1 7, J J Smith. Sub ? No 23 0-1.